the resigned gamer, everything I hate about the thing I love the most

Resonance of Fate: nothing is written in stone

Posted by Sir Cucumber at 4:00 PM on Thursday, June 23, 2011

2.75 days of my life, only including the spent time saved, and I can't say what this game was about. I'm not even sure why I stuck with it.



I know I've promised myself I'd stop before. Every time, in fact...But each chapter in this epic allegory made me think it was all about to come together; The moment was just out of my grasp, so I stretched. And stretched. And stretched.

The game had great things going for it, no doubt. The combat system was forward-thinking and unique, with a steep enough learning curve and difficulty to keep me interested; The mandatory Japstrionic battle animations comparatively short enough to keep me engaged; The fruits of laboriously tiling Basel's twelve story bathroom incentive enough to keep me on my knees, in search of corner pieces and Bezel Shards. The threads just never seemed to meet, the punches to connect.

But I didn't throw in the towel. Everything eventually ends, or at least presents an opportunity for exit, so it's really a question of closure, or continuity. I didn't get either, but I did get out, with clean hands and a head held high. I found none of my fears came true, the sky was blue, and the sun was shining.

It took me 5 years, 5 months, and 17 days to take my life back. So what's a couple days?