the resigned gamer, everything I hate about the thing I love the most

Endwar: Turn-Based Monotony

Posted by Sir Cucumber at 8:09 AM on Wednesday, January 14, 2009

endwar, psp, sir cucumber's bitter corner, the resigned gamer

endwar, psp, resigned gamer
That crazy jungle gym...I think I saw it on the last continent too...
Or was it when I played through this exact same mission as the blue army?


I bought a crate of, like, 217 peanut butter granola bar from Costco for $6 this one time. Probably the best deal I've ever gotten in my life, but given the chance I don't know if I'd do it again. I kept them upright on the floor in my closet by the door and grabbed one for breakfast each workday, bending just a little further down each week. I'd eat a bar in three bites and stuff my hands back in my pockets, shivering on the Dunellen train platform before the sun came up. Sometimes, between the cold closet and colder morning air, they'd harden and stick in my teeth, keeping me occupied almost all the way to Newark. Other times I'd be so tired, hungry, and hungover from last night's fight and drinking in the dark that I ate without tasting. But as sick as I got of seeing those bars, on days on the way to the end of that box when I'd forget to take one for breakfast, it was like a void in my morning.

That pretty much sums up how I feel about Endwar. My save says 84 percent done, and something tells me I'll have to bend pretty far to hit bottom. It hasn't gotten much more difficult than when it began, despite dividing the three campaigns into "easy," "normal," and "hard," and it hasn't thrown a new combat element or objective at me since the 12th tutorial mission. At worst playing it is nauseating, at best it can be played unconscious, but I've been playing the same game for so long now I can't imagine when it finally does end how else I'll be able to fill my time on the commute or commode.

Anyway, it's late and I've got to brush my teeth and play some Endwar before I pass out. Maybe tonight I'll make it to 86 percent completion.