the resigned gamer, everything I hate about the thing I love the most

Two Worlds - neither any fun

Posted by Sir Cucumber at 8:50 AM on Wednesday, February 11, 2009

From the desk of RPtheOG...


I am a huge RPG adventure gamer fan. I love Oblivion, have played Zork, Diablo and my favorite growing up was the Ultima catalog of games. So, I was excited when Two Worlds came out. It really looked like a great game at first – regardless of the lackluster reviews. But with so many other titles on my shelf I never pulled the trigger. So, a more than a year later this game has now been sitting on my shelf for around six months and I finally got around to unwrapping it. So, lets get on to the game:


“The world changed when Aziraal, the god of war, was slain in the huge battle long ago…blahblahblah hordes of Orcs…blahblahblah location of Aziraal's tomb is still unknown…blahblahblah fragile peace between the races and the hordes…blahblahblah mining expedition discovered an ancient temple…blahblahblah real danger lies somewhere else…”


I only played Two Worlds for two days, but boy was it a chore. From the beginning all I can say is bad execution. This game was flawed in so many ways I don’t even know where to begin. I have customized the look of my character two or three times but once the game starts, the guy pretty much looks the same. When running, you don’t even need to continue pointing- the character will run for you, even if u put the controller down and leave the room. I am just used to having better control of characters in games and unsure why this functionality was there at all. I am glad to see that more developers are not using that functionality.

Fighting: Now, we are not even talking about hard fought battles against Ogres, we are starting with random animal. Man with sword and magical fire balls against wolves and the occasional bear. In a fight with three wolves I’d get killed 3-4 times without even killing one. The Black Bear, I was unable to slay, but now that my character is Level 5, I might do a little better. Why should slaughtering defenseless animals be so damn hard? It’s sort of like Sir Cucumber and I in a cage match- we all know the suit would get worked over like a slab of beef and I’d walk out with a big ass smile on my face, so why bother?


Eeek! Wolf! Get it away get it away!

Now, I have played many hours of Oblivion and they built the game right. You have free range of the map and endless tasks and adventures to get involved with. They are easy to follow but difficult to complete. You put in your time and work and the game and adventures continue. But Two Worlds I just could not fathom.

I admit that as my character built up his strength I was able to kill the wolves and some other midget adversaries, but the minute I stepped up to the big boys, I’d get swooned in one strike. This game just couldn’t keep me. Normally I am drawn into a good video game and story line. This game is kept playing with the hope that it would soon improve, but it never did. I know a few people who have played and enjoyed the game so, I am curious as to what kind of feedback I’ll get on this, but overall I would tell anyone when asked – DO NOT BUY. Rent first and see if this is your speed, maybe your experience will be better than mine. Now, its back to Call of Duty: World at War and Fable II (which I need to buy).


Yeah...right...