From Kotaku: PSP Sets Fire To Schoolboy's Pants
"At the Warner Middle School in Farmington Hills Michigan this morning a fire broke out in a young boy's pants. According to police, the PSP in the student's pocket overheated and exploded, burning hole in his pocket and causing minor burns on his legs."Looking at the comments in Kotaku's story people seem to be blaming the fault on a 3rd party battery, which are known to cause problems. I wonder though if he left a game running when he pocketed the PSP. Those spinning UMDs tax the battery something fierce. Perhaps if he'd installed custom firmware and ripped his games to the memory stick like any sane person does, this whole horrible situation could have been avoided.
Goes to show what happens when you obey the rules: Lose your PSP and the pants you carry it in.